denisedonica@gmail.com

I am an occupational therapist and Associate Professor in a master of science in occupational therapy program at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC, USA. I have presented and published research focused on handwriting skills of children, especially using Handwriting Without Tears curriculum.
East Carolina University Greenville, NC, USA Hand
Name
Denise Donica
Fields of Interest
Development in Children, Education, instruction, teaching methods, Remedial teaching, occupational therapy, re-education, writing systems for the handicapped, Letter design for cursive, print, italics, ...
List of Publications
Donica, D. & Francsis, E. (2015). Exploring content validity of shore handwriting screening and newly developed score sheet with pre-kindergarten students. Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 3(6), Article 6.

Steele, E. C., McLaughlin, T. F., Derby, K. M., Weber, K. P., Donica, D., & McKenzie, M. (2015). Employing Handwriting Without Tears to teach a 4-year-old- preschool student to write his name with the appropriate size, shape, and form combined with an imitate/trace/copy/memory procedure. i-manager’s Journal on Educational Psychology, 8(4), 16-24.

Klee, I., McLaughlin, T. F., Derby, K. M., Donica, D., & Kalb, G. (2015). Using Handwriting Without Tears® and a modified copy, cover, compare through chaining to teach name writing to a preschooler with developmental delays to write his name. International Journal of Applied Research, 1(3), 59-65.

Griffith, J., McLaughlin, T. F., Donica, D. K., Neyman, J., & Robison, M. (2013). The differential effects of the use of handwriting without tears modified gray block paper to teach two preschool students with developmental delays capital letter writing skills. i-manager’s Journal on Educational Psychology, 7(1), 13-22.

Donica, D. K., Goins, A., & Wagner, L. (2013). Effectiveness of handwriting readiness programs on postural control, hand control, and letter and number formation in head start classrooms. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, and Early Intervention, 6(2), 81-93.

Donica, D. K., Larson, M. H., & Zinn, A. A. (2012). Survey of handwriting instruction practices of elementary teachers and educational programs: Implications for occupational therapy. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 26, 120-137.

Lust, C. & Donica, D. K. (2011). Research Scholars Initiative - Effectiveness of a handwriting readiness program in head start: A two group control trial. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 560-568.

Donica, D. (2010). A Historical Journey Through the Development of Handwriting Instruction (Part 2): The Occupational Therapists' Role. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, and Early Intervention 3(1), 32-53.

Donica, D. (2010). A Historical Journey Through the Development of Handwriting Instruction (Part 1): The Historical Foundation. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, and Early Intervention, 3(1), 11-31.

Signature

Denise Donica, DHSc, OTR/L, BCP